Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What I am Thankful for

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for (in no particular order): 

My family 
delicious food 
music 
my bed 
a warm house 
JD's chippery 
finding out who my true friends are (and reuniting with one of them in particular this break!!) 
Travis Nelson Montie 
my puppy 
hummus 
trees 
coffee 
gummy vitamins 
and, because I just love them so much I can't help but mention them twice...my family 

And now a side story: I participate in this program called HOSTS (Helping One Student to Succeed) and every week I go to a local elementary school and tutor a little boy in first grade for 30 minutes. He is very sweet, calm (for the most part) and has really loosened up around me the past few weeks. He has actually taught me more than I think I have taught him. His home is a broken one, his parents can't even see each other and I can only hope that this doesn't effect him as he grows up because he has a lot of potential. Looking at the differences between his childhood and mine have made me that much more thankful for what I had. So this is my shout-out to my HOSTS kid (who will never read this). Thanks for being so fun and being a better teacher than me! 

HOSTS buddy: My favorite it mashed potatoes with gravy at Thanksgiving. 
Me: I don't like gravy. 
HOSTS buddy: Why?
Me: It is just so runny! 
HOSTS buddy: Well, water is runny, does that mean you don't like water?

See? Such a smarty-pants

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

athom said...

I love you. happy thanksgiving joppyseed! wish I could be there!